March 16, 2020 Morning
Breakfast Briefing: Manure Innovation Challenge
The Manure Innovation Challenge will see eight international start-ups, each with a solution to capture value from manure-based nutrients, pitch their innovative technologies to an audience of high profile investors and industry leaders. A judging panel will select a winner, to be announced during the afternoon of the Summit. The special pre-summit Breakfast Pitching session is open to all delegates attending the summit on Monday March 16 from 07.30am.
Mark Dodd, Business Development Manager, BIOFILTRO, USA
Jeffrey Hallowell, CEO & Founder, BIOMASS CONTROLS, USA
Michael Lynch, CEO, CHONEX, USA
Matthew Freund, President, COWPOTS, USA
Robert Levine, CEO, DIGESTED ORGANICS, USA
Trond Lund, Head of Business Development, N2 APPLIED, NORWAY
Jordan Phasey, CEO, PHINITE, USA
Dan Spracklin, CEO, SOMAX BIOENERGY, USA
Guy Harari, Senior Global Director, ADISSEO, USA
Quinten Eggink, Investor, AGFUNDER, USA
Aidan Connolly, President, AGRITECH CAPITAL & CEO, CAINTHUS, IRELAND
Aaron Magelheim, Founder, AGTECH INSIGHT, USA
Paul Duncan, Director of Sustainability, ANUVIA, USA
William Goure, Managing Partner, BELENUS BIOTECHNOLOGY CONSULTING, USA
Joost Matthijssen, Investment Director, Nutreco NuFrontiers, NUTRECO, NETHERLANDS
Evan Fraser, Director, Arrell Food Institute, UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH, CANADA
Opening Keynote: Animals as the X-Factor: Innovation’s Role in Solving Global Health Challenges
Our civilization is more technologically advanced than ever before, yet we still face fundamental, seemingly insurmountable global challenges in physical, mental and environmental health. What if we told you animals are the x-factor to solving the world’s biggest challenges?
Advancements in animal health are making tangible impacts on the health of people and our planet, and innovations in the space will continue to drive more positive outcomes. What are the key challenges faced by our industry today? What is the potential impact of animal health improvements, and which innovations will drive progress? It’s time for us to rediscover the power of healthy animals.
Jeffrey Simmons, CEO, ELANCO, USA
Opening Plenary: Growing the Animal AgTech Ecosystem through New Innovation Strategies and Collaboration Opportunities
- What are the key pain points in today’s livestock industry for farmers? Where do industry leaders see the biggest opportunities for innovation and where are the gaps?
- What new creative innovation models are emerging for livestock industry corporates?
- What new areas are emerging as effective sites of collaboration to accelerate innovation and drive a more sustainable, efficient and higher-welfare livestock industry? What new points of intersect are emerging, and what can we predict in terms of consolidation?
Maarten Goossens, Co-Founder & Principal, ANTERRA CAPITAL, NETHERLANDS
Abhay Nayak, Head of Global Strategy, Commercial Development and Customer Experience, ZOETIS, USA
Terry Coffey, CSO & CTO, Hog Production Division, SMITHFIELD FOODS, USA
Alexandra Blanchard, Research Director, Animal Feed Additives and Ingredients, ADM, SWITZERLAND
Michael Wilbur, VP Corporate Business Development, WILBUR ELLIS & President and CEO, CAVALLO VENTURES, USA
Henry Berger, Global Head of Marketing & Strategy, Diagnostics & Monitoring, BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM ANIMAL HEALTH BUSINESS UNIT, GERMANY
Fireside Chat: Transforming the Industry from Farm to Fork Through Collaboration
Tim Kurt, Scientific Program Director, FFAR, USA
Karen Christensen, Senior Director, Animal Welfare, TYSON FOODS, USA
Banks Baker, Manager, Animal Welfare and Agriculture, MCDONALDS CORPORATION, USA
Networking Coffee Break
Smart Livestock Farming: Transforming Data into Meaningful, Actionable, Integrated Insights
- How is the digital revolution transforming the livestock sector and enabling new insights to be gained? Looking to successful digital applications in other industries and to China’s integrated digital society, what predictions can we make for the next wave of innovation?
- How can we deliver useful yet affordable and simple digital tools to enable actionable insights for today’s livestock farmers? What successful business models are emerging to deliver farmers a good ROI? What challenges to adoption have still to be overcome?
- How can we build sustainable service-based revenue models – what’s proved successful?
- What’s needed to develop a framework for effectively integrating data from different sources with differing data agreements? What can the industry learn from the EU GDPR?
Aidan Connolly, CEO, CAINTHUS & President, AGRITECH CAPITAL, USA
SriRaj Kantamneni, Managing Director, Digital Insights, CARGILL, USA
Bruce Stewart-Brown, Senior VP of Food Safety, Quality, and Live Operations, PERDUE FOODS, USA
Matteo Ratti, VP Global Marketing and Smart Data Solutions, ALLFLEX LIVESTOCK INTELLIGENCE (A MERCK COMPANY), USA
Bennet Holmes, SVP Business Development, ITK, FRANCE
Ian Wheal, CEO & Founder, BREEDR, UK
The Virtual Fence: Optimizing Sustainable Grazing through Digital Innovation
Frank Wooten, CEO & Founder, VENCE, USA
Precision Breeding: Utilizing AI and Sensor Technology Tools to Facilitate Phenotyping
- What creative approaches are emerging to enable the precision breeding of more resilient, adaptive, sustainable and efficient livestock?
- How can we utilize on-farm and supply chain data together with AI technology to provide information about the performance of livestock to aid phenotyping? How is sensor technology enabling new data to be accessed?
- What insights are valuable to breeding companies and what new partnership and innovation opportunities does this create? How can we build a more connected livestock industry with faster feedback loops to maximise data’s potential and drive efficiencies?
Joy Parr Drach, CEO & Founder, ADVANCED ANIMAL DIAGNOSTICS, USA
Michael Lohuis, Vice President, Research & Innovation, SEMEX, CANADA
Clint Schwab, Vice President, Science & Technology, THE MASCHHOFFS, USA
Johan van Arendonk, Chief Innovation & Technology Officer, HENDRIX GENETICS, NETHERLANDS
Tom Rathje, Chief Technology Officer, DNA GENETICS, USA
Networking Lunch Break
March 16, 2020 Afternoon
Traceability and Transparency: Harnessing Traceability Tools to Provide ‘Food with a Story’ and Unlock Added Value
- What is important to today’s consumers and what value are they willing to put on ‘food with a story’? How can traceability tools provide consumers with this information accessibly?
- As consumer-facing brands and retailers move towards verified sustainable and ethical food production systems and supply chains to meet evolving consumer demands, how can we build reliable, objective, standardized systems for certification?
- What key challenges are holding back supply chain transformation? What dots need to be joined to enable farmers to unlock greater value on more sustainable, ethical commodities?
- How can we utilize traceability technologies to shorten supply chains and reduce inefficiencies, cost and risk in the livestock space? How are retailers moving closer to the farm? What’s on the horizon?
Justin Sherrard, Global Protein Strategist, RABOBANK, NETHERLANDS
Jennifer Walker, Director of Milk Quality, DANONE NORTH AMERICA, USA
David Speller, Founder & CEO, OPTIFARM, UK
Jessica Langley, Director of Sustainability, PILGRIM’S, USA
Brandon Buie, Director of Business Development, Enterprise Solutions, PROAGRICA, USA
Justin Sexten, Vice President of Strategy, PERFORMANCE LIVESTOCK ANALYTICS, USA
Next-Generation Feed: Commercializing and Scaling Production
- How far can alternative feeds transform the sustainability of supply chains and improve feed efficiency and lifecycle assessments? Which sources have the biggest potential for industry transformation?
- Are we at an inflection point with the adoption of alternative protein feeds? What is needed to overcome scalability hurdles and bring alternatives to the mainstream, and where can investment and collaboration accelerate the process?
Marc Chevrel, CEO & Vice Chairman, ARBIOM, FRANCE
Targeting the Microbiome: Tailoring Feed Innovation at Scale to Boost Performance and Health
- How are new feed innovation approaches improving health, digestion and GHG emissions?
- How can we develop a tailored yet scalable approach to address the variability of gut microbiomes? What new business models and technologies are emerging to address this?
- What exciting innovation is emerging in human gut health and the soil microbiome? How much is translatable to animal ag? What lessons can be learnt in terms of scale up, production, and regulation?
- How can we overcome delivery challenges and integrate products into existing feed systems, such as retaining efficacy after the pelleting process’s high-heat treatment?
- What regulatory approach is needed when balancing quality, safety and reliability with access and a timely route to market? What extra value do claims have on the market?
Arvind Gupta, Managing Director & Founder, INDIE BIO & General Partner, SOSV, USA
Mike Seely, CEO & Co-Founder, ASCUS BIOSCIENCES, USA
Tracy Raines, Chief Innovation Officer, AGBIOME, USA
Ben Holland, Director of Research and Operations Analysis, CACTUS FEEDERS, USA
Eduardo Alberto, VP, Animal Nutrition and Health, North America, DSM, USA
Ermias Kebreab, Associate Dean of Global Engagement & Director of World Food Center, UC DAVIS, USA
Four early-stage companies pitch their disruptive solutions to a panel of investor sharks.
Maricel Saenz, Co-Founder, NEXTBIOTICS, USA
Gil Hakim, CEO, ARMENTA, ISRAEL
Heiner Lehr, CEO, FAROMATICS, SPAIN
Yiannis Kaznessis, CEO, GENERAL PROBIOTICS, USA
Jenny Rooke, Managing Director, GENOA VENTURES, USA
Jon Lowe, Head of Commercial Development for Livestock, ZOETIS, USA
Manure Challenge Start-Up Pitching Competition: Winner Announced
The Yield Lab Institute will announce the winner of the Manure Challenge Start-Up Pitching Competition which took place earlier in the day.
Brandon Day, COO, THE YIELD LAB INSTITUTE, USA
Networking Coffee Break
The Next Frontier of Aquaculture Innovation: Harnessing Recirculating Aquaculture Systems for Healthier, More Sustainable and Local Seafood
- What technology innovation is emerging in the Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) space to develop aquaculture farms that produce healthier, local and more sustainable seafood?
- What is the market landscape for RAS and what are the key challenges limiting the growth of this sector? What business models have been successful?
- What is needed to drive innovation and encourage investment to further build this newly emerging industry?
Yoav Dagan, Co-Founder, AQUAMAOF, Israel
Innovation in Breeding and Gene Editing: The Promise of Disease Eradication and a More Sustainable Food Supply
Elena Rice, CSO & Head of R&D, GENUS PIC, USA
A New Angle for Preventing the Spread of African Swine Fever: Targeting Contaminated Feed with Additive Innovation
Scott Dee, Director of Research, PIPESTONE VETERINARY SERVICES, USA
Investor Insights: Scaling Animal Agtech to Commercial Viability – What Can We Learn from Adjacent Industries?
- Which areas of the animal agtech start-up ecosystem are most exciting? What are the biggest market opportunities?
- How can the animal agtech investment ecosystem build on the learnings of the crop agtech and human health investment spaces? Where are the opportunities for investors in other industries to enter the livestock space? What trajectories can we expect?
- As livestock industry corporates and producers build strategic investment arms to accelerate innovation, what new business models are emerging?
- How can start-ups determine whether VC or strategic investment is best for their company and stage? What are the contrasting values of each?
Chris Abbott, Investor, CGC VENTURES, USA
Spencer Swayze, Managing Partner, PAINE SCHWARTZ PARTNERS, USA
Rob Readnour, Managing Director, MOUNTAIN GROUP PARTNERS, USA
Joost Matthijssen, Investment Director, Nutreco NuFrontiers, NUTRECO, NETHERLANDS
Amanda Donohue-Hansen, Vice President, CULTIVIAN SANDBOX VENTURES, USA
Matthieu Vermersch, Managing Partner, VISVIRES NEW PROTEIN CAPITAL, SINGAPORE
Closing Remarks & Networking Drinks Reception